What is Gold-Filled?
Gold-filled jewelry is an economical alternative to solid-gold jewelry. Gold-filled jewelry wears, looks, and lasts like solid-gold because the outer surface is solid-gold. It can be worn daily without fear of tarnishing or fading, and can stand the test of time if properly cared for (10-30 years!).
Gold-filled jewelry consists of a base metal pressure bonded with a layer of gold over top. Gold-filled jewelry is legally required to contain 5% or 1/20 gold by weight. All the gold-filled jewelry we carry is 14k yellow gold filled. Meaning all the pressure bonded gold is 14k solid gold. Gold-filled jewelry has almost 100% more gold than gold-plated jewelry. Gold-filled jewelry is much more valuable and durable, and will not tarnish or chip away over time like gold-plated jewelry. Sometimes small dark spots can occur at solder joints (where the gold has been melted together), but all of our jewelry pieces are inspected for quality.
Gold-filled metal is perfectly safe, and can be worn without fear of allergic reaction (unless you are part of the small percent of people who are allergic to gold). It is lead and nickel free, so wear without fear of rashes, itching, or skin discoloration.
How to Care for Gold Filled
- Keep your jewelry in a box or bag to keep it from getting scratched or discolored
- Keep away from chemicals - lotions, moisturizers, soaps and perfumes can cause discoloration so be careful when applying - especially with rings.
- To clean, rinse with warm water and a drop of dish soap; scrub lightly with a soft toothbrush and allow to dry completely; polish gently with a jewelry-polishing cloth.
- For a deeper clean, you may soak your piece - just make sure the water isn’t too hot as heat can damage gemstones causing them to crack.
- It is advised not to wear gold-filled jewelry while swimming or bathing (especially in salt water or chlorinated pools). Fresh water is ok - just be cautious if you are using soaps etc. that can react with the gold.
Labradorite is a gorgeous stone that ranges between gray and blue tones. With a remarkable interplay of color, this stone reflects purples, greens, golds, and pinks in mesmerizing fashion. Labradorite awakens one’s own awareness of inner spirit, sharpens intuition, and gives you a strengthened ability to express what you feel. This stone will help you become the person you are destined to be through the realization of your goals and dreams. Because of it’s protective qualities against negativity, labradorite will help you find joy and enthusiasm in your activities. It can also help you to remove bad habits, thoughts and feelings that are preventing you from reaching your full potential. Wear this transformative stone as a daily reminder to let your own innate magical powers shine.
Have more questions about our materials? Email us!